2023 Adult Learn to Sail and Adult Learn to Race Pricing
Group Lessons Non-Member $450
Adult Learn to Race $500
6 Private Lessons $600
Adult Sailing Learn to Sail Description
Sailors are taught aboard Grosse Pointe Yacht Club’s newly restored J-22’s and instructors are U.S. Sailing Certified. Whether you are new to sailing or want to improve your sailing, navigation or racing techniques we can tailor a program to your needs.
James Cooper is the Adult Sailing Program Director and has designed the courses for those 18 years and older with all different sailing abilities in mind.
Skills taught in Learn to Sail include rigging, boat handling, steering with a tiller, main and jib sail trim, entering and leaving the harbor, points of sail, wind, knot tying and sailing safety.
Adult Sailing Learn to Race Description
Adult Learn to Race Sailing Class
If you know how to sail but want to get into sailboat racing, this is the perfect chance. Lake St Clair is busy every night of the week with fun active sailboat racing. Why not be a part of the camaraderie and teamwork. The ALTR class is the next step beyond the ALTS. We focus on the principles of racing: sail trimming, crew work, race course management and racing rules. This hands-on course will make you a desired crew member on most sailboats. Our Learn to Race class is taught on J22 sailboats and includes weekly races and a team race on the highly competitive J111. Upon completion of the course (6 group race lessons for $500). Assistance is available for boat placement on Lake St Clair sailboats. Course includes weekly evening races and post-race byob debriefings. James Cooper: instructor Registrar online today! Questions Contact:
- Group lessons available May, June, July, August, and September
- Six session programs available, instructor flexible to day and time of the week
- Lessons are 2 to 2.5 hours each
- Held in GPYC's Marine Activity Center and on the water
Celebrate the good life with friends, reunions, respectful scattering of loved ones ashes, college outs, birthdays, sporting events, family gatherings, corporate building experience and more. Grosse Pointe Yacht Club will do it all!
- Freedom Day Sail Tour Detroit River Experience, 2.5 hrs
- Freedom Day Sail Tour Lake St. Claire Experience, 2.5 hrs
- Freedom Sailboat Racing on Lake St. Claire Experience, 2.5 hrs
Participants will sail with coach Cooper weekly. Lessons take place at GPYC in the Marine Activity Center (MAC).
In addition to the Learn to Sail class,
GPYC also offers these courses:
- Cruising Lake St Clair (Understand the lake, using GPS and VHF radio, setup destinations)
- Learn to Race (Sailing the J/22 fast and trimming the sails for speed, understanding the race course)
GPYC Member Sailors who complete any of these courses successfully are entitled to take out a J/22 with your friends. The J/22s have power for docking.