2021 Adult Learn to Sail Pricing
Group Lessons Non-Member $450
6 Private Lessons $500
- Group lessons available May, June, July, August, and September
- Six session programs available, instructor flexible to day and time of the week
- Lessons are 2.5 hours each
- Held in GPYC's Marine Activity Center and on the water
Celebrate the good life with friends, reunions, respectful scattering of loved ones ashes, college outs, birthdays, sporting events, bachelorette/bachelor parties, family gatherings, corporate building experience and more. Grosse Pointe Yacht Club will do it all!
- Freedom Day Sail Tour Detroit River Experience, 2.5 hrs
- Freedom Day Sail Tour Lake St. Claire Experience, 2.5 hrs
- Freedom Party Sunset Sail Detroit Skyline Experience, 2.5 hrs
- Freedom Party Sunset Sail Lake St. Claire Experience, 2.5 hrs
- Freedom Sailboat Racing on Lake St. Claire Experience, 2.5 hrs
- Freedom Bachelorette/Bachelor Party Sail Experience, 2.5 hrs
- Freedom Total Afternoon and Sunset Sail Experience, 5 hrs
Adult Sailing Learn to Sail Description
Sailors are taught aboard Grosse Pointe Yacht Club’s newly restored J-22’s and instructors are U.S. Sailing Certified. Whether you are new to sailing or want to improve your sailing, navigation or racing techniques we can tailor a program to your needs.
James Cooper is the Adult Learn to Sail Program directo and has designed the courses for those 18 years and older with all different sailing abilities in mind.
Skills taught in Learn to Sail include rigging, boat handling, steering with a tiller, main and jib sail trim, entering and leaving the harbor, points of sail, wind, knot tying and sailing safety.
Participants will sail with a professional coach on each boat. All classes will be videoed for viewing on our new classroom in the Marine Activity Center (MAC).
In addition to the Learn to Sail class,
GPYC also offers these courses:
- Cruising Lake St Clair (Understand the lake, using GPS and VHF radio, setup destinations)
- Learn to Race (Sailing the J/22 fast and trimming the sails for speed, understanding the race course)
GPYC Member Sailors who complete any of these courses successfully are entitled to take out a J/22 with your friends. The J/22s have power for docking. There is no fee for the use of these boats.